This one is for you gentlemen! Although ladies … you should know about this too since you’re more likely to get them to actually take something 😉
Before I continue, here’s the disclaimer. Everyone is different. What might work for one person won’t work for someone else. If you are taking prescription medication or have any pre-existing medical conditions, PLEASE check with your pharmacist. They are familiar with natural supplements and any conflicts with medications. A number of supplements to help with libido or endurance may make you feel flushed or have an effect on your heart rate. While this is common, if you are feeling really uncomfortable (listen to YOUR body please), please discontinue immediately.
You’ll notice some herbs are classified as adaptogens. What is an adaptogen? It does not have a specific action; rather it helps you respond to any influence or stressor, normalizing your physiological functions. Adaptogens boost your immune system, support managing a healthy weight, increases physical endurance and mental focus, reduces discomfort caused by poor health and encouraged a balanced mood. I will discuss adaptogens in more detail in an upcoming article.
Now that I’ve gotten all of that out of the way, here we go.
- Maca root is a member of the cruciferous family like cauliflower and broccoli but due to its unique properties is considered a “super food”. It is best known for its positive effects on hormone balance, energy levels, as a health booster and increases seratonin levels. Black maca has been shown to increase sperm production and red maca reduces prostate. It helps stabilize blood sugar levels and main adrenal health, which regulates mood and energy throughout the day. While maca root is generally safe for most people, some people should avoid taking it. People who are on hormone altering medications for hormone related cancers and those with high blood pressure should not use maca. For more information on maca, please see my previous article on this wonderful herb here.
- Horny Goat Weed is an adaptogenic herb which improves testosterone levels in men. The major component in horny goat weed is a flavonoid called Icariin which is also present in Cialis and Viagara. Used extensively in China and Japan for over 2000 years as a sex enhancer, it boosts libido and improves erectile function. It is most commonly used as an aphrodisiac. The testosterone-like effect stimulates activity by increasing sperm production, stimulating sensory nerve endings and increasing overall sexual desire. Horny goat weed increases blood flow to the genitals, which improved endurance. It also helps modulate levels of cortisol and testosterone, which may help improve the mood. Icariin inhibits PDE-5 enzyme resulting in increased nitric oxide, which improves oxygen levels and blood flow. For more information on horny goat weed, including any precautions and who should NOT be taking horny goat weed, please see the full article.
- Tribulus Terrestis is an Ayurvedic herb, mostly recommended for male health including virility and vitality. It is known for its libido enhancing properties and possible testosterone boosting properties. Tribulus enhances androgen receptor density in the brain, which may enhance the libido enhancing properties of androgens. It does not, however, have any real impact on fertility. A more in-depth article is in the works.
- Yohimbe contains a chemical called yohimbine which can increase blood flow and nerve impulses to the penis. It causes dilation of peripheral blood vessels along with central nervous system stimulation. It also helps counteract sexual side effects of certain meds for depression. A more in-depth article is in the works.
Alternatives to Medications
There are many formulations on the market and depending on whether you’re having a challenge getting hard, staying hard or ejaculating, I can guide you on your best options. Common cautions against using any of these products are anyone suffering from kidney or liver disease and high blood pressure. Rather than resorting to Viagara or Cialis, I do have natural options for you which are often a combination of the above ingredients.
The best libido boosting foods
Since I’m a nutritionist, of course I’m adding in some foods that will help boost your libido and improve your health.
- Oysters – improves dopamine levels; high in zinc which helps boost testosterone.
- Chili peppers – Capsaicin releases chemicals that raise heart rate and trigger endorphins thereby increase libido.
- Watermelon – contains citruline, which relaxes blood vessels and improves sex drive.
- Chocolate – contains phenylethlamine which increases sense of excitement and wellbeing. Chocolate (made from raw cacao) is high in anti oxidants.
- Pomegranate juice helps boost testosterone.
- Asparagus contains plenty of folate, which aids in higher histamine levels which boost sex drive.
- Pumpkin seeds are powerhouses. They contain zinc which increases testosterone as well as B, E, C, D, K. Calcium, Potassium, Niacin and Phosphorous.
- Coconut water contains the same level of electrolytes and increases blood flow.
- Ginger increases blood flow in sexual organs and warms the blood.
As you can see, the common threads are increasing blood flow and testosterone, critical aspects of male sexual health.
Please email me at email@example.com to arrange a consultation.